The Martin LX1 acoustic guitar, their smallest travel guitar, is big on tone, quality, and versatility. If you’re looking for a quality acoustic guitar for a child or an adult with small hands, the Martin LX1 should be at the top of your list. It is the best in terms of quality, sound, and feel. For an authentic Made in Mexico Martin, it is surprisingly affordable.
Body & Neck
The LX1 has a smaller scale length, 23 inches, which is actually about two inches shorter. That means the frets are closer together, perfect for the smaller hand. The smaller size also makes this guitar perfect for travel.
The new LX1 with a hand-rubbed solid Sitka Spruce top and mahogany high-pressure laminate back and sides features the same great sound you will find in the top-of-the-line Martins.
The neck is made of rust birch laminate creating a very interesting pattern and feel. Richlite fingerboard and bridge make this little guitar sturdy for travel under different weather conditions.
This newest addition to the Martin family is built with the same quality Martin craftsmanship with an emphasis on producing a great sound in a small guitar, not like some of the student guitars on the market.
This LX1 Little Martin is strictly an acoustic guitar with no electronics. See below for more on the LX1E. Both Little Martins features a set of quality Martin sealed chrome tuners. As with the other Martin tuners, they are smooth and easy to use while holding their tuning well.
You will also find that it comes equipped with a TUSQ nut and compensated saddle, a Richlite bridge, and strung with a set of Martin SP strings.
The Little Martin is durable, easy to play, and stays in tune. You might ask about the sound. Truthfully, it doesn’t have the full-rich sound of the Martin dreadnoughts, but it wasn’t designed to. However, it’s a perfect “pick up and play” guitar that you can take anywhere. It’s great for practice, jamming at home, taking on the road or around a campfire.
While the Little Martin is Martin’s smallest guitar, it sounds well-balanced in tone and has that satisfying warmth that you’ve learned to count on from a quality built Martin.
LX1E, The Electric Model
You get the same affordability and compact design of the LX1, but with the addition of a Fishman Sonitone pickup mic system, which is great for plugging in to quickly amplify your sound.
Straight out of the box, the Little Martin comes with a padded gig bag made of a tough ballistic cloth exterior, plush interior, backpack straps, and a front zipper compartment and fits over the guitar like a glove.
Martin LX1 Features:
- Junior style belly
- Multi-stripe rosette
- Script Ink logo headstock inlay
- Mortise and tenon neck joint
- Body type: Modified O-14 Fret
- Cutaway: Non-cutaway
- Top wood: Sitka Spruce
- Back & sides: High-Pressure Laminate
- Bracing pattern: non-scalloped X-type
- Body finish: Hand-rubbed
- Orientation: Right-handed
- Neck shape: Modern low oval/PA taper
- Nut width: 1.69″ (43mm)
- Fingerboard: FSC Certified Richlite
- Neck wood: Rust Birch Laminate
- Scale length: 23″
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Hand-rubbed
- Pickup/preamp: Yes
- Brand: Fishman
- Configuration: Soundhole mounted preamp
- Preamp EQ: 1-band
- Feedback filter: No
- Tuner: No
- Headstock overlay: High-pressure laminate rosewood pattern
- Tuning machines: Chrome Enclosed Gear
- Bridge: FSC Certified Richlite
- Saddle & nut: Compensated White Tusq, White Corian
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features: None
- Case: Soft gig bag
- Country of origin: Mexico
- Wikipedia (January 5, 2019) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_(guitar_type)
- (October 22, 2019) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_guitar
- Martin LX1 – Travel Package On a Different Level. Retrieved from https://www.guitarfella.com/martin-lx1-review/.
- Graph Tech TUSQ Martin-style saddle. Retrieved from Sweetwater.com
- Retrieved from Musiciansfriend.com